HIV Health Trainers
Sometimes making decisions about your health and life with HIV can be confusing and it can be difficult to know where to begin. The HIV Health Trainer service can help you make sense of the bigger picture and make changes to help you lead a healthier life.

You can ask them anything about living with HIV - from questions about your immune system, what your test results mean and starting treatment, to safer sex, telling other people about your status and accessing services. You can choose how your Health Trainer supports you – face to face, over the phone or by email
To get in touch with an HIV Health Trainer, visit the Health Trainer listings on the THT website.

Mental health crisis
If you feel like you are in crisis and need help right now, going to see your GP or HIV doctor as soon as possible would be a good place to start. If you can’t wait to see your doctor, or if you’d rather talk to someone anonymously, then you could call the Saneline on 0845 767 8000 This is run by the charity Sane, and can provide information and crisis support between 6pm and 11pm every day of the year, including Christmas Day and all other public holidays. Their website is You could also call the Samaritans who provide 24 hours emotional support on 08457 90 90 90, or visit their website –

If you really are in crisis right now and need to see a medical professional immediately then you could go to your local Accident and Emergency department and ask to see the duty psychiatrist. If you decide to do this take a friend with you if possible so you won’t be on your own whilst waiting to be seen.

Just exposed someone to your HIV?
If you think you have exposed someone you have just had sex with to HIV then there is something called PEP available. PEP stands for Post Exposure Prophylaxis, and consists of a 28 day course of anti-HIV drugs which should stop someone from becoming infected with HIV if they have been recently exposed.PEP must be started quickly – within 72 hours after exposure at the latest but the earlier the better. PEP can be accessed through HIV clinics. It may be worthwhile phoning round HIV clinics first to make sure that they will be able to provide your sexual partner with PEP. If it’s a weekend and the nearest clinic is closed, PEP should be available through a hospital’s Accident and Emergency department. There’s a list of all the clinics in London in our London clinic guide. Alternatively you can call THT Direct on 0808 802 1221 to find the nearest one to you.

You can find out more information about PEP and how to access it on our PEP pages. If you are looking to find a clinic that provides PEP outside of London you may can look at